- Join the BSP
- Awards & Prizes 2020
- Awards & Prizes 2021
- Awards & Prizes 2022
- BSP Webinars - 2017 World Workshop Classification System
- BSP UK Version of the S3 Treatment Guidelines for Periodontitis
- Clinical FAQs
- Healthy Gums Do Matter toolkit
- Oral Health During Pregnancy
- Perio and Caries
- Periodontal Disease and Diabetes
- Job Vacancies
- EFP Manifesto
- EFP Prevention Workshop Guidelines
The Clinical Fellowship Award is designed to enhance clinical training by providing support for successful applicants to participate in or attend events that have a clear educational benefit, with explicitly stated educational outcomes. With a maximum award of up to £4,000, the 2023 prizes has been awarded to:
- Patrick Fee
- Jasmine Loke
- Giuseppe Mainas
The BSP Research Grant is designed to support postgraduate research development and training with a value up to £5,000. The primary purpose is to enable the successful applicants to undertake research projects with a clear application in periodontology. The 2023 prize has been awarded to:
- Dr Kitty Guo
The Frank Ashley Undergraduate Prize is designed to encourage dental and hygiene therapy undergraduates at UK Dental Schools to undertake a project that has a clear educational benefit in periodontology. The 2023 prize of £500 has been awarded to:
- Robson Chiremba
The Sir Wilfred Fish Research Prize, instituted in 1970, is awarded annually by the British Society of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, with the object of encouraging researchers in the early stages of their career. The Prize takes the form of a cash award of £1,000.
The 2023 judges have shortlisted the applications to the following four entries:
- Niamh Coffey - "Periodontal Disease prevalence and Oral Hygiene in Adults with Cystic Fibrosis."
- Avinash Patel - "Minimally-invasive non-surgical periodontal therapy in teeth with bone loss to the apex: A prospective study."
- Rajpal Tattar - "Total versus neutrophil derived IL-1β KO in mice: novel findings exploring the function of neutrophils in local immune function and periodontal health."
- Kiran Amin - "An international response to the management of unknown dental implants."
The entrants will be given the opportunity to present their research at the BSP Conference in Birmingham 11-13 October 2023. The Judges choose a winner after hearing their presentations.
The Systematic Review Prize, instituted in 2018, is awarded annually by the British Society of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, with the object of encouraging researchers in the early stages of their career. The Prize takes the form of a cash award of £1000.
The Systematic Review Prize entries will be judged at the BSP Conference in Birmingham 11-13 October 2023.
The BSP hold an annual Poster Prize competition with two categories: Research and Clinical Case Report.
The Prizes each take the form of a cash award of £500.
The poster must demonstrate either:
- Original scientific research which has an application to periodontology or related aspects of implant dentistry. A systematic review or audit project cannot be submitted; or
- Details of a clinical case which may have multi-disciplinary content but with the main theme being the periodontal and/or peri-implant management.
Work must be unpublished (with the exception of Conference abstracts).
The Poster Prize entries will be judged at the BSP Conference in Birmingham 11-13 October 2023.
This year we had four entries for this category:
- Susan Bissett - "Detection of previously undiagnosed atrial fibrillation in a dental setting in the UK: a cross-sectional study."
- Krishan Pandya - "The Antimicrobial Dilemma - Implant Antibiotic Prophylaxis in an Era of Resistance."
- Samina Iram - "Management of Periodontal Disease and uptake of BSP Implementation of 2017 Classification and 2020 S3 Guideline in UK Primary Care: A Pilot Study."
- Vanaja Krishna Naik - "Utilization of Think-aloud protocol to cognitively validate a self-reported periodontitis questionnaire."
We also had an entry from Benjamin Hewitt - "Application of the buoyant epithelial culture device (BECD) system: Lipopolysaccharide challenge in 2D and organotypic gingival epithelia." (Showcase only).
Clinical Case Report Poster
This year we had three entrants for this category:
- Ursala Jogezai - "The multidisciplinary approach for the management of a compromised anterior dentition: A clinical case report."
- Maria Laccotripe - "Efficiency of Xenografts with Collagen Barriers during Surgical Reconstruction to Manage Peri-Implant Bone and Soft Tissue Deficiencies at Single Implant Sites in the Esthetic Zone: A Case Report."
- Farhan Raza - "Case where failed dental implants (implants that failed to osse-integrate) were re-used in the same subjects (without a lag period) by employing a simple & cost-effective protocol of surface treatment of the fixture along with minor modification of the osteotomy site."